So Brandon and I have safely arrived in Utah to stay with J at the Flewellens and all is well. The drive was beautiful and I was really amazed at the variety of landscapes we drove through: swampy bayous as we left New Orleans, grassy prairies and wide open spaces through Texas turning into deserts and mesas in New Mexico. Winding mountain roads in Colorado (I drove through that, and it was almost scary. I was terrified to cruise down the mountain at 80, but if I lost too much speed then the little van wouldn't be able to get back up the next rise) then huge rock formations and canyons into Utah. Fun times!! New Mexico was probably our favorite- we both would love to live there in the desert, it just felt great. Though we did pass through some pretty podunk rinky-dink towns. :\ It's been so wonderful to see the variety of nature across the country, but kind of disconcerting to see so much poverty at the same time.
We left Mexico Beach Saturday, leaving right on time around 7.30am. We drove to New Orleans to have lunch in the French Quarter. The restaurant we had picked out looked pretty packed when we arrived- just a big open space with as many tables as they could squeeze in there- I thought we wouldn't be able to find a place where Brandon's chair could fit, but we got right in to a little space at the back that was perfect for us. The building was reeaaally old, apparently from 1788 and served greaat Creole. We forgot to order the alligator meat appetizer we were joking about on the way there (I don't mind. It just feels wrong to eat alligator to me) but the food was great- Brandon had a sampler of jambalaya, red beans and rice and gumbo and I had a great corn/fettuccine dish. Brandon really loved it, and I thought it was great too, but I'm afraid the nuance of Creole cooking is lost on my puny po' pallet. Then we walked up and down Decatur St looking for a bakery that sells beignets. ;] Not quite a Benet but close enough to be good for a laugh to bring to the reunion. hahaha. Lots of street performers, musicians, artists, and crazy people. As we were driving out we passed this big ol lady wailing on the keyboard and Brandon asked me for a few dollars to pass her- I scrambled through my purse for some cash and passed what I thought were two ones- my bad. That was an $11 dollar donation to the culture of New Orleans. I felt silly afterwards (wasn't sure why she was hootin and hollering for just 2 bucks, til Brandon told me what I'd done) but hopefully we made her day... .. and not given her a drunken night hahaha.
We drove northwest to Marshall Texas, stayed at a cheap Motel 6 where the AC would literally roar to life every few hours and wake us up. :[ Then continued across Texas to Abilene, where we ate at this family owned Middle Eastern restaurant. The dad took orders and ran the place while his wife cooked in the back and his poor son sat miserable, head down, at the counter. It was a weird experience. I asked him what he suggested and he acted surprised, like I was stupid for thinking he could tell me what I would like. Then when I asked about a different dish he seemed offended that I wasn't taking his advice. So then I was offended that he'd treated me so rudely but Brandon told me I was just being culturally insensitive. But then he gave us a free appetizer, so I guess it all worked out in the end. We drove on to Albuqurque and stayed at another cheap Motel 6, where the room next to us housed both crying children and a loud tv show Brandon suspected of being... unsavory. :O I bet Brandon he wouldn't be able to wake up and be in the shower on his own, but he slept poorly on account of being hungry and I lost. (Well, not really, I'd bet him a blizzard, but Brandon can never finish his and I end up eating the rest. heh heh heh). So we woke up early and head out in time for a stop at Waffle House (you can't pass through the South without going there) then drive on through the SW corner of Colorado and into Utah. In Prove we drive around not finding the Flewallen's then give up and go to wait for J to get off work to follow her home. She helps us get set up then we go out for some great pizza and to buy Brandon a pillow (we left his in Albuquerque. :[ oops).
We've been listening to The Host along the way (Mom, did you ever finish that?) and keeping surprisingly entertained on the looong drive. A little nervous about the lack of firm plans for the reunion. :\ If it's just a make-your-own-play-date kind of reunion I feel a little out of place, not knowing who the heck I'd want/need to hang out with. Ah well. We'll see and play it by ear.
Sorry this post was so long. Hope you can forgive me.
Eventually I'll get around to posting pictures. You know, the half-blurry, taking it with my hand out the car window kind. :]
Don't Forget To Be Awesome!!
LOVE YOU ALL!!!!
Liberty
Liberty, Great Road trip!!! Podunk towns, that is all there is out in New Mexico... ha ha (that goes for Utah as well, ah ha). Alligator, ha remember the alligator on the grill in Waterboy? you missed out on a super opportunity! Can you spell Albequerque now? and an unsavory ? TV program. oh well, it all is part of the adventure. You guys are great! Go Brandon... don't forget the Frosties! mmmmm We had them in Flagstaff when we went to the Grand Canyon last month! Yikes
ReplyDeleteDid you ever get the tire fixed/replaced? You could always steal a tire from a little red wagon.
ReplyDeletehahha, dad, the alligator on the grill! lol! (this is julia again, dang I gotta make a mii or a contributer doodad or whatever it is)
ReplyDelete