Saturday, July 17, 2010

from far far away...

So hello,
I know, I know, I have catching up to do, I'm on my way. . . p.s. this post will probably be extensive....

A) introductory post (since i never actually made one)
I AM BLAKE, the oldest of 4. 23 years old stationed in south Korea as an airman 1st class (A1C) of the United States Air Force. making small albeit seemingly tedious steps towards my goal of one day becoming a fighter pilot. I've come this far only to realize the length of the journey is..... well lengthly. ha ha ha, yea I've got work to do. I work presently as an electrician's apprentice, you could compare me to the guy in the trident layers commercial, you know, the asian guy at the end with the big frown who says "nobody pays me in gum" that commercial makes me laugh and even now thinking about it makes me smile. so my job is mostly uneventful, not something I chose to do but rather something that was handed to me. (I originally was an Explosive Ordnance Disposal technician) but by the grace of God and a little luck (heh heh) I am no longer in that incredibly dangerous incredibly deployable career field. My favorite color is Blue, my favorite musical instrument is the Cello (go brandon!), I love pears, I love feeling peace in my heart, I love g-rated movies as long as they're not incredibly simple and babyish. toy story 3 is a great example. I love simply existing on a sensory only level (when time permits of course)
Korea is pretty neat, I've never been outside the United States until now, when I first got here and had the first moments to myself I could FEEL the distance, it was one of those "Holy Crap" moments. But so far I've adjusted pretty well. My follow-on assignment is Aviano Italy, I'll be here in Korea for a year and then my lovely wife and I will be moving to Europe for at least 3 years possibly/probably longer.
I am married to an incredibly wonderful woman, Indira, she made the post that's directly under this one. We are separated only by distance and we've done well to remain as close as we can. It is a constant struggle for to keep heads above the murky waters of loneliness and sometimes despair. BUT technology has allowed us the opportunity to communicate daily often seeing each other's faces, how lucky we are.
I have been called (YET AGAIN) to teach primary, ha ha ha ha, i am truly a child at heart, i guess that's why i get along with little ones so well. I love it of course. the military branch is off base a couple miles away, if I don't ride my bike I'm usually catching a ride with someone. Being in Korea is pretty exciting. the church building is as far as I've gone. I will soon force myself into preparation and planning to go on at least a day trip where I bike around Osan. Osan is about 50 miles south of Seoul which is the capital of Korea. (the biggest splotch of lights)
Some may be concerned about north korea and their shenanigans, let me take this opportunity to tell you that the similarities between North korea and the cold-war soviet union are numerous. of course north korea will never be able to seriously WIN anything. As I say that some of you are probably doubting in your hearts.... LOOK AT THE PICTURE!!!
SEE!! north Korea has invested soooo much of its resources to its military that it can't sustain electricity overnight. Their economy is weak, and probably won't be around a whole bunch longer to cause trouble. I'm not an economic analyst and I couldn't give you any real or accurate figures, but I'd say probably within the next 20 years it'll collapse just like the soviet union did.
So with that being said I'm not really all that nervous being here. It's humid but the weather is nice enough, i prefer Arizona of course for many reasons ;) but I guess it's not all that bad here...
so that's me right now, I'm probably forgetting some stuff......
things i just thought of: I love classical music but I'm also partial to jack Johnson and other acoustical as well as alternative rockings. I love oatmeal cookies and this weakness has already been exploited ha ha ha. I still drink lots of milk, but not nearly as much as I used to. I love traveling with my wife and having adventures. we've been quite a few places in America; all over new york city, Niagara falls, the grand canyon, flagstaff, Philadelphia. and I hope that those cultural and traveling experiences will continue no matter where Indira and I are. I love sleeping, ha ha, preferably in cold environments, or at the very least with a fan blowing on me.
Now I really think that is it. if you have questions for me about Korea or other stuff i didn't think of or talk about put it in a comment and I'll answer it.

p.s. sorry I'm really bad at communicating with everyone.... (is that a Sumner thing?) geeze. lol I LOVE YOU ALL, I LOVE YOU INDIRA.

-Blakester

3 comments:

  1. I love you too babe. Lovely post!
    -Indira-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to make yourself eat interesting Korean food just so you can say you did? Like cat on a stick? Fried dog? Kimchi? Locust? hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.