Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tunes

This is an awesome topic Julia: Cartoons. I was always such an audiophile, albeit a broke one, that music played a HUGE role in my life. I started making mix-tapes to take to youth conferences. They never heard of such a thing back then. BACK THEN - a mix tape was a time-consuming event involving tedious recording of cuts from your favorite records and even borrowing records from friends. Now, all you gotta do is push Ipod shuffle, no work at all. What first attracts my attention, is a pronounced funky. U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Prince and TOOL has this. What I love is something that jams forever and does not end after 3 minutes. LOTS of my music does this. Neil Young, The Cure, Dave Matthews. I love voices with interesting textures and inflections like k.d. lang, Roger Waters, Alanis Morisette, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed and Matisyahu. I love bands/musicians that don't take themselves too darn seriously like Queen, ACDC, the Beastie Boys, Eminem, EnVogue. I love music that I can get my anger out with like Guns N Roses, Nickelback, Pearl Jam and Rage Against the Machine. I love music that uplifts me like Handels Messiah, bassoon sonata by Mozart, cello concertos and Beethoven. I love guitar music like Dire Straits, Pat Metheney and Santana. I love music. I love music. I love music. It saved my life many a time. It soothed my savage beasties more times than I can count. I have lost myself in the pounding throb of the Chemical Brothers and found myself weeping as the Tabernacle Choir sang O Divine Redeemer (MY ALL TIME FAVORITE PIECE BY THEM). Toons. Gotta have them. Can't life without them. *My apologies for all the music I have missed and forgotten to put in here.

3 comments:

  1. We just got back from Indiana (yay Liberty & Brandon - and a shout-out to the Gimbels and their offshoots). We had a 6 disc cd player for the car which we changed regularly. pink floyd, alanis, red hot chili peppers, mormon tab, dave matthews, dire straits, U2, santana, dire straits, steely dan, .... something funky, eclectic yet mostly upbeat to keep Benet awake so he would not fall asleep while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I told you Brandon's family never listened to music growing up. I meant to continue to say I'm so glad we did. :] Being musically educated or cultured was huge. Like you said, music has saved my life a few times, and I never would have none about it if you guys hadn't made it a part of our life. Thanks for being groovy and introducing us to some excellent music. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music. what more can be written, what more can be said. Music, there no doubt there is something about it. I guess I should post my input. But I love music too. Some of my most memorable events have specific sound tracks to them. Sort of like the Forrest Gump Movie... ha ha ha Lynard Skynard, Now many Lynards does it take to make a Skynard?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.