Saturday, September 4, 2010

Road Music

Hello. I am going to catch up on the list of labels and entries to the Blog... I'll not make these too long...so here is an attempt.

I will list my favorite Road Tunes, not in any order but as Blake has mentioned by mood or desired effect of the tunes being played... I have some favorites so lets get them out first. Of course you should all know one of my favorites is Rush 2112. the first side of the "album" but now that it is on CD, the whole thing. Another Rush favorite is Farewell to Kings. Title song, Zanadu, Cygnus X-1. I have my other favorites, anything Pink Floyd, Alanis Morrisette, and Shania Twain. And after that, there are selected songs from a multitude of artist that I just love to "cruise" to. Tom Petty, AC/DC (Live "The Jack" from Let there be rock, Bon Scott version). The Coldplay X&Y was turned on to me driving home from Grannies for the last time with Della pulling a trailer in the Park Ave. (very heavy that trip, so many emotions, specifically the song Fix You. Della and I had a great "We Miss You Granny" cry together playing that one several times in a row. I still can feel the emotion of that tune and that section of road north of Tampa on I-95. Della and I had some great tunes experiences when we were first married in WI. Pete Townsend: White City, Dire Striats, ZZ Top, Greatfull Dead, Stevie Nicks,

One quick story, when I left Albert Lea to go live in Reno (pre mission) I was playing cassette tapes in the Blue Flame. I was playing them as they were in sequence in the "brief case" so, about midnight or later, I was in Wyoming getting really sleepy and Neil Young was playing and I cranked it for another hour or more. "Rust Never Sleeps", "Tonight's the Night". If you don't know that one, I highly recommend it. But that was one of those fun times just me and the Blue Flame out in the middle of no where! Thank you Heavenly Father for keeping me alive on all those road trips! Well, I am sure I am missing some, but that will have to do for now.

1 comment:

  1. Music has ALWAYS been an important part of our lives. Benet and I got to drive a LOT B.C. (before children) with serious tunes cranked. I liked rock but my mother was sure that the demonic infuences would rot my brain and I didn't have access to a lot of it (she liked Queen so I was allowed to have that). It was through Benet that I was turned on to Neil Young and Jimi Hendryx and it was I that turned Benet on to Dire Straits and Pat Metheney. Cross Pollination is best when learning music. Benet learned about symphonic music, Mozart, John Philip Sousa, bassoons and French Horns (while a shout-out for the TUBA must be thrown in here)... yet cross-pollination needs to also include an appreciation for other things non-musical. I learned to appreciate the full-out patriotism of Nascar fans who get tears in their eyes at the National Anthem, the synchronicity of runners at a Track and Field competition, the full-throated roar of fans at a baseball game as we win a championship and how to actually follow a football game. Music crosses all barriers. We once tried to count up the concerts we had seen and came up with over 250... that was 8 years ago. To quote The Grateful Dead (who we saw twice) - What a Long Strange Trip It's Been.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.