Saturday, April 2, 2011

A PROMPT! ACKKK!

Ok so here it goes. I've been struggling with what to both write about and what to ask everyone else to write about. I had thought about doing a "what bands have had an effect on your life and why" but I just felt like it was an easy way out. So as I've been pondering I got to thinking, if I could redo one thing in my life what would it be. Even with such a potentially engaging prompt I'm struggling to think of something to write about. Not because I have nothing that I would want to take back and do again but because I have so many.

I suppose I have one but with a caveat. If I had redone this mistake I wouldn't have met the love of my life. I wouldn't have begun a life of true fulfillment with my better half.

With that said I shall begin. My second year at BYU I lived in an apartment off campus with three other guys that I didn't know. Living in the apartment was AWESOME. I felt so free and could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Sadly that freedom went to my head. I slowly but surely missed more and more classes and eventually just stayed in my apartment all day. This led to isolation to the Nth degree. This isolation led to shame and that shame led me to avoid almost everyone.

Like I said at the beginning, it's not the fact that I in the end left BYU that I would redo, but what I would want to redo is to have left BYU under better terms. Having lived a better life, having done well in my studies. That is my biggest regret, that I left in disgrace.

Now that I have laid bare one of my faults I hope that you can see me more as a real person rather that what imagined construct you have of me. I love you all. Be fabulous and wonderful as always!

2 comments:

  1. Is it not that our faults and our foibles that make us human. As the great Veronica said: If you were happy all the time you wouldn't be human, you would be a game show host. The biggest regret, that you left in less than great academic standing, is how the Lord directed your path back to Indiana to meet Liberty. Isn't it strange how the Lord directs our paths? Sometimes those things that depress us or that we look upon as a failure guide us. It reminds me of Hugh B. Brown's story of the Currant Bush: I am the Gardener here. Love you Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wo, Della, excellent usage of a most recenet conference reference... Love it. Let's use them in all our comments. Yo Brandon. I got a D in my chemistry class at Rick's College my second semester in college. ha ha that was when the parents cut off school funding for a while, (children beware). There are times that you live your life totally on a prayer, only to find out later that was the winds of Heaven's pushing you into a position to get to the next level in life. I look back with many memories, seeing the Lord's hand and direction in my life. Some things I see clearly now, but some I am seriously clueless about, (but that only means I have more growing to do). It takes humility to admit to, or to feel you didn't preform up to expectations. I am certain I often fall short of expectations, well, you just keep getting up; like Cool Hand Luke when he was getting pummeled (beat up), and kept getting up... that is what you do in life. keep getting up. The Lord totally brought you and Liberty together. I am very grateful to have your association, and that of your excellent extended family! Sorry for the ramble... Can't wait to see ya'll in May!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.