Monday, October 4, 2010

Recent Liberty-lings.

Hey team!

Right now I'm siting in Psy class (Intro to Learning- the classical/operant conditioning kind, not the how-to-be-smart kind) and am choosing to write my blogpost now. (edited and actually posted tonight when I should be studying for a test. go responsibility!) :D
Anyway, recent pictures I like... Brandon and I bought 3 posters recently during the allposters.com sale and got them framed all nice.





This one, Hokusai's "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" is hanging over our couch in our 'nicest' frame.




We also have Van Gough's "Almond Blossoms" in our bedroom:






And the 'tank man' from Tiananmen Square is in our dining room.





Of these three, I probably like the Great Wave the best. Partly, I'm sure, because its frame makes it look the best, partly because of the great colors and partly because it's just a pretty awesome picture in general. Tiananmen Square is probably my next favorite. Brandon and I both wanted to have this somewhere prominent, and we have it in a silver frame. I just like what that photo means. Against all reason, one person chose to resist. That's the kind of moral stamina I aspire to. Almond Blossoms is nice, but I don't like it as much as the other ones. I think that's because it looks so obviously like a poster- in part due to the cheapest frame we could find, in part because the brush strokes are so pronounced yet so 2D.

Here they are in our home, so you have a smidgen more of an idea what they look like- all taken at jaunty angles to avoid glare. (click to view larger size)







There are also several photos of Brandon and I that are my favorites- you can see them all in my facebook profile pic folder here.

In other news, school is wearisome. I only have one more semester left after this one, and I can feel it. I need to conduct an Honors Projects in order to graduate with my honors certificate, I'm taking a class where I need to write a grant, and I'm balancing 3 jobs and an internship at the Boys and Girls Club as well. Working at the club has been very fun. Challenging, oh yes, but I enjoy it. There's a lot more yelling than I'd like, but when you have a ratio of like 1 adult to every 10-20 kids, that's what you get. Learning their names has been the hardest, but I'm doing better. It's hard to have any sort of relationship with kids when you can only call them 'hey you'.

Brandon and I have purchased fabric to make our Halloween costumes- we'll probably end up working on that during our fall break next weekend. I'm gonna be Strawberry Shortcake (the old-school chubby lady version, not the new current-stereotype-appropriate edition) and we're making Brandon a Matrix trench coat. We'll see how that goes. The success of it really hinges on making time to get it done.

Anyway, love you all, sorry I don't talk to any of you very much, but I think of you often and wish you all the best. I'd write more but, well, I have that test I need to get to work on. ;]
Love,
Liberty

1 comment:

  1. What makes the Hokusai amazing is that it is a woodcut, not a painting. Each color had it's own block of wood cut into the proper design, inked and the paper was carefully rubbed onto it, layer by layer for each color. And each wave has all those "fingers," just enough fingers to look appropriate and not too many so it looks like a bad acid trip. The Van Gogh is pretty I am squinting against the screen and it reminds me of a beautiful robe one of the Academy models used to wear. Van Gogh did not usually work in that color - the madness of yellows were more his style. I admit, however, that I only studied his work peripherally. But it is so nice and oriental - much the rage in those days in France... The Tiananmen Tank Man... Nice. Good Social Commentary for the times. And very Liberty-like. ...standing against all reasonable hope.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.